Re: NeXTStep port preferences

From: Justin Bogner
Subject: Re: NeXTStep port preferences
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 09:04:38 -0600

Adrian Robert wrote:
Some users differ.  There are many use cases calling for frequent
font and/or modifier key changes.  We'd need a poll to get better
data.

It would probably be quite difficult, but if we're going to provide a preference pane for frequently changed settings, wouldn't it make sense to put something in the customize panes to set what options showed up in the dialog?

- The options to change the cursor are probably not important enough
  to have here.

Again, see above.  I use different types of cursors for editing
different files (coding, text, etc.), and it's nice to switch
quickly.

This looks like a job for a hook, it would surely be more convenient if the cursor changed automatically when you wanted it to.

Otherwise, at least in this case, there's no real reason not to just
use the X11 version on OS X
The inconvenience of having to start X11 to edit files or to read mail
and probably missing features (e.g. does DnD work from Finder to
Emacs?).

It would be far easier to add these features to Apple's X11 impl
than to port and maintain a separate interface to GNU Emacs.  And
they would provide wider benefit.

It is far more convenient and pleasant to use a native application than one nested under another window system, no matter how well integrated that other window system is. The behaviour of a window in X11 is inherently different (though perhaps subtly) from that of a cocoa window.

For example, consider the copy and paste by highlighting text semantics of X11.
When working purely in X11 this is a nice feature, when working purely outside of X11 the lack of this feature isn't too much of an annoyance, but when working between an X window and a non-X window, the difference in behaviour is quite annoying.

However much fixing the deficiencies in Apple's X11 might improve the experience, it could not be as smooth an experience as a native interface.