Re: Emacs vista build failures

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Emacs vista build failures
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 21:36:49 +0200

Johannes Weiner wrote:
Hi,

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:

Johannes Weiner wrote:
Hi,

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:

Johannes Weiner wrote:
Doing so _manually_ (as a shell script or something) is not particularly
hard if you have simple needs.  If you're using some other build tool,
it should often be fairly straight-forward to use that tool with a thin
layer on top to implement the GNU configure interface.
It would be cool to have shell libraries you could use for whipping your
own configure.  I.e. no m4 macros but powerful shell functions you can
just call.
And once again: If this did not work easily on w32 too it might stop
people from using it.
To be honest, I couldn't give the slightest about w32.  It's a pile of
crap that should have never seen the light of day, all political issues
left aside and I, FWIW, would not consider it when designing software.

I not sure why you tell me that. I see no reason why I should be
interested in your opinion about it.

I am interested in getting the free software movement forward and "I
know best" attitudes will not help.

No offence.  You suggested it should work on Windows in a reply to me.
So I stated my opinion about it.

I am also interested in getting the free software movement forward.  I
just don't have any idea how that relates to Windows.

Thanks Hannes! Let us keep up the good work.

I presented (in this thread I believe) some of my arguments about why to care about w32 too in my reply to RMS about a portable mini-bash. I might be wrong, my arguments might be bad, but I tried to give some arguments.