Re: inputting characters by hexadigit

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: inputting characters by hexadigit
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 22:11:03 +0100

Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> I do like Your idea of using the standard number schemes as an option,
>> but I also want something super simple like C-q <hex>+ RET.
>
> If we consider that C-q <char> should stick to "insert <char>", then
> one way to still use C-q + <charcode> is to use non-chars in <charcode>,
> e.g. use the meta modifier.
>
> This said, C-q M-<something> 3b5 RET doesn't sound very appealing.

Could be made work, probably, but implementation a bit messy, since,
say, C-q M-u  ==> C-q ESC u on text terminals, which presently then
inserts an ESC literal, followed by a self-inserted u ...

On the whole, I'm now really wishing there was a separate binding. Are
there _any_ C-x «somethings» left???   C-x %  ?