Re: Emacs vista build failures

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Emacs vista build failures
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 10:26:12 +0200

Jason Rumney wrote:
Evans Winner wrote:
"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden>
writes:
I presented (in this thread I believe) some of my
    arguments about why to care about w32 too in my reply to
    RMS about a portable mini-bash. I might be wrong, my
    arguments might be bad, but I tried to give some
    arguments.

I don't know much about it, but isn't that what MinGW is
supposed to provide?

I think Lennart's suggestion is about a having a small POSIX shell that
can be bundled with Emacs (and other programs) to use on systems that do
not have a POSIX shell by default. MinGW/MSYS is an external dependency
which means an extra thing to go wrong for users.

Yes.

I do think this idea presents a chicken and egg problem though - the
shell is needed by configure, but will not be available until it has
been built by a bootstrap.

Yes, but that can be worked around by saying there is an extra step needed. Either downloading a binary or using a platform dependent way of building that mini-bash. (Most users will probably download it.)