Re: Emacs vista build failures

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Emacs vista build failures
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 17:18:41 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:
"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:
But you can build exectutable from perl scripts, or is not that
possibility there any more?

We needed a single executable for making installations and upgrades as
simple as possible for customers (they'll break everything otherwise).
A self-extracting batch file is doable reasonably well (once unzip.exe
has been installed).  Appending an archive to a .exe file is not as
feasible, in contrast.

The perl script exectutable could perhaps be zipped together with any needed archives.

I don't think I know of any multi-platform free software project where
the Windows port is not responsible for the most hair-tearing and
frustration.

When I started looking at Emacs I noticed there were cross platform installers emerging that could do quite a bit. (But do not ask me about the names of them now.)