Re: Emacs vista build failures

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs vista build failures
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 18:18:25 -0400

> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 22:31:58 +0200
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, Jason Rumney <address@hidden>,
>       address@hidden
>
> "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> >
> >> Exactly, wouldn't it be just easier to request the user to install
> >> whatever POSIX shell that is required in INSTALL or similar?
> >
> > There is a POSIX shell for w32, but I do not think that interact well
> > with normal w32 command line programs. Is there anyone who knows
> > something about that?
>
> MSYS is basically a boxed set of everything you'll likely need for
> autoconf (modulo compilers).  We recommend using it with AUCTeX.  It
> turns out that it still makes a formidable chore for most people to
> install all that and call autoconf, configure, make and so on.

MSYS is not a reliable solution, although with enough tinkering it is
possible to tweak it into doing a useful job.  It mangles command-line
quoting, for starters, and also requires one to have a completely
separate set of build tools, just for MSYS's use, in addition to
native ports you use outside of the MSYS shell.