Re: inputting characters by hexadigit

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: inputting characters by hexadigit
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 00:29:22 +0100

Juri Linkov wrote:

>> - it just strikes me people with non unicode locales (or files)
>> are  some of the most likely to want to enter characters by number from
>> the relevant non-unicode charset...
>
> Couldn't they do that using the `C-x 8' prefix?

By number? Maybe I missed it- can they already?  Otherwise entry would
be dependent on there being a composition defined for the character,
which is not a given. And if you're working with some
once-in-a-blue-moon legacy charset, it might be much easier to look up
the char code in a code table in front of you than learn the
compositions, probably depending on how visually-minded you are.

Of course they could if C-x 8 was expanded with a means to enter
numeric codes. :-)