Re: [patch] vc-find-root with invert

From: Justin Bogner
Subject: Re: [patch] vc-find-root with invert
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 22:35:46 -0600

David Kastrup wrote:
The only sort of justification I could imagine is when you are trying to
create a patch and/or work with a file set.  Then you want to have some
sort of common root.  However, just walking upwards is not guaranteed to
give you such a root: it is perfectly feasible to place some directory
under CVS for backup purposes, but have a non-registered subdirectory
_also_ under CVS with a completely different repository.

This is a very valid point, and given Stefan's argument that these version control systems don't have such concepts, I am somewhat dismayed. The concept of a root directory of a project is extremely useful for things like recursive grep, tags, etc. I find it quite helpful to set the default-directory to the vc root in such circumstances.

Oh well, given the arguments, I vote that this is a misfeature and should be removed.