Re: inputting characters by hexadigit

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: inputting characters by hexadigit
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 12:03:35 +0300

>> Just wondering... C-q 0x263a  doesn't seem so bad...
>
> C-x 8 0 2 6 3 a is just as short.  And if we can drop the 0, it's
> even shorter.

Using digits for the prefix key makes input too confusing.  In the middle
of the input sequence it is difficult to see what the current input number
is.  Is it "8 0 2 6" or "0 2 6 3" or, after dropping the 0, is it "8 2 6 3".
It is difficult for the user to visually parse such a key sequence and to
complete input.

Another drawback (that C-q currently has too) is an inability to edit
incomplete input.  This pushes us back to the era of dumb calculators
without the backspace key.

A more convenient method is to use the minibuffer to input the number.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/