Re: inputting characters by hexadigit

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: inputting characters by hexadigit
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 17:27:31 +0300

>> DA> This thread got off the ground because some thought that using an input
>> method
>> DA> could be too heavy for inputting Unicode chars. OK, keep looking for a
>> better
>> DA> (non "input method") input method, if you must. But please stay away
>> from key
>> DA> chords and existing key bindings.
>>
>> I don't understand why we don't just provide an interactive function and
>> let the users pick the keybinding they like.  IMHO this is completely
>> useless for many users (considering input methods exist for particular
>> languages and we've talked about stacking multiple input methods), and
>> essential for much fewer people (who need to enter arbitrary Unicode
>> characters by number).
>
> Seems like a good suggestion to me if combined with Juri's
> latest suggestion.

Do you mean the one based on Stefan's suggestion to use `C-x 8'?

It seems this is the simplest thing to do.  And one additional key
after `C-x 8' to activate the minibuffer doesn't make it worse on
usually quite long numbers.

After binding `C-x 8 RET' to `ucs-insert' we could improve `ucs-insert'
to parse more notations supported by Emacs like "#x..." and "?\x..."
and to input characters by Unicode name with completion.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/