Re: [patch] vc-find-root with invert

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [patch] vc-find-root with invert
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:35:12 -0400

> This is a very valid point, and given Stefan's argument that these version
> control systems don't have such concepts, I am somewhat dismayed. The
> concept of a root directory of a project is extremely useful for things like
> recursive grep, tags, etc. I find it quite helpful to set the
> default-directory to the vc root in such circumstances.

I agree it's useful.  But there's no reason why this should be
implicitly inferred/guessed from the structure of the revision control
info.  Even with VCS such as Bazaar or Git, you can have a single
project decomposed into several checkouts of various Bazaar and/or Git
subprojects (in Arch, this was supported explicitly (tho poorly) via the
notion of "config").

> Oh well, given the arguments, I vote that this is a misfeature and should
> be removed.

I'm glad we agree.

        Stefan