Re: inputting characters by hexadigit

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: inputting characters by hexadigit
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 01:32:29 +0300

> We have that already.  What I want is to deprecate/remove the C-q NNN
> method of entry, and move it elsewhere.  I think that C-x 8 is the best
> place for it.

>From my experience using C-q to input a number was a pain in the echo area.
IMHO, using the minibuffer is more convenient that reading a string
with a sequence of `read-event'.  That's why I have doubts about moving
C-q NNN without changes to C-x 8.  Using `read-event' was necessary on
C-q because it has to read a character, but no more necessary on C-x 8.
So C-x 8 reading a number in the minibuffer seems more attractive.

However, if an exact equivalent of C-q is necessary on another key
then perhaps `C-x 8 C-q' is a better variant for that.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/