Re: Emacs vista build failures

From: Johannes Weiner
Subject: Re: Emacs vista build failures
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 05:29:45 +0200

Hi,

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> Quoting wikipedia:
>
>>   An operating system (commonly abbreviated OS and O/S) is the software
>>   component of a computer system that is responsible for the management
>>   and coordination of activities and the sharing of the resources of the
>>   computer. The operating system acts as a host for application programs
>>   that are run on the machine.
>
> That's sufficiently vague to mean either a kernel or a whole OS.
> E.g. X11 would probably fall into this description, as would a DNS
> caching proxy, the /sbin/init program, or even gdm, network-manager,
> gnome-power-manager, nfsd, ...

Well, the most fundamental resource-manager and application host on a
computer is the kernel.  I am sorry if that was unclear.

>> So when I said `fully-functioning operating system' I did not mention
>> userspace at all.
>
> In most circumstances, nowadays, a kernel is a very far cry from
> a "fully functioning operating system".  The Linux kernel is no
> exception here.

I don't know how I respond to that as you said you wouldn't understand
the term `operating system' being a kernel only.

If you meant it as being a whole system including userspace, than it's
surely not a complete operating system.

If you meant it as being a kernel, then what's missing?

        Hannes