Re: unable to copy directory recursively to a vfat partition

From: Sven Joachim
Subject: Re: unable to copy directory recursively to a vfat partition
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 07:30:21 +0200

On 2008-07-24 00:51 +0200, Chong Yidong wrote:

> Regarding bug 268 in the bug tracker:
>
>> Copying a directory recursively in dired to a vfat partition fails
>> because `dired-copy-file-recursive' calls `set-file-modes' on
>> directories after creating them.  This behaviour appears to be
>> new in 22.2, same recursive copy worked in 22.1.
>
> This appears to be due to the following change:
>
> 2007-10-31  Sven Joachim  <address@hidden>
>
>       * dired-aux.el (dired-copy-file-recursive):
>       Preserve directory permissions.
>
> Could someone fix this in both the trunk and the branch?
> It looks like a simple condition-case around the call to
> set-file-modes in dired-copy-file-recursive should be
> enough; but someone with access to vfat needs to test this.

I do have access to vfat, but I cannot reproduce the bug.  IIRC there
was some change in Linux 2.6.25 that caused the chmod call to report
failure (it never works on vfat anyway, but that used to be silently
ignored).  This change seems to have been reverted in the meantime,
though; I'm running 2.6.26 here.

Sven