Re: inputting characters by hexadigit

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: inputting characters by hexadigit
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 08:24:55 -0500

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 22:18:08 -0400 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

SM> Try * A TAB: the completion list will show the complete names, but only
SM> for those char names that contain an A, so * A P L TAB will list all the
SM> chars that contain "APL" in their name.

The problem is that you don't know that something at the end begins with
ZETA until you go to the end of the list.  When you know what's in the
list, isearch, partial-completion-mode, icicles, etc. work great.  I
don't think they should be disabled in favor of categorization, only
that when there's too much information for a screenful it should be
condensed (maybe something like folding-mode can be used to hide the
things in a category?)

Ted