Re: Emacs vista build failures

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Emacs vista build failures
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 11:22:42 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:
My impression is that a substantial minority, possibly even a
majority, of Emacs users run on this particular non-free OS, and that
the cost of supporting them is low by comparison.

The cost is that they don't care about using or improving free systems.

I think there is a good bit of psychology involved there because I believe you can not generally come to that conclusion without a certain view of how people decide what to do.

Different people make their decisions in different ways. There are people who in some situations when pressured take a decision in the direction towards which they are pressured. That is well known. Milgram's experiment is an extreme example of that.

What is propably less well know is that psychological experiments and thinking points to that people who are what they call authoritarian in their view of other people more often believe that pressure is the (only) way to get people to do things.

Perhaps it is easy to be lead to the conclusion that pressure is necessary. For some actions it is but are the actions and thinking we want really of this type?