Re: VMS support

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: VMS support
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 12:06:30 -0700

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

  > > Doing this a one big commit is _extremely_ inconvenient.  A thorough
  > > removal can be done in steps too, and tags can help sort out the changes
  > > easily.  The unnecessary red tape just adds extra work for absolutely
  > > zero gain.
  >
  > Can't imagine why it's so inconvenient.  Care to give some example of
  > the difficulties it adds?

If you only can spend a few minutes at a time when doing this (and I do), you
can't
write ChangeLogs when doing the work because they will conflict on
updates.  When updating you get unnecessary conflicts that need to be
resolved.  When working offline you can't cvs remove files.  If you cvs
remove files before tagging, the tag won't apply to that file.  And
probably more.  On the other hand the gain is inexistent.