Re: a little feedback on Cocoa Emacs.app

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: a little feedback on Cocoa Emacs.app
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 17:45:33 +0100

On Jul 27, 2008, at 03:29, Adrian Robert wrote:
Ken Raeburn <raeburn <at> gnu.org> writes:

3)  I noticed that there are no info files in the
new one; is that intentional?
No, this was an error in the installation commands.  Fixed in CVS
(Makefile.in).

Good, thanks.

4) under Spaces, I found it kind of annoying not to have a
"new window" option in the dock menu

This seems like something it would be better if Apple fixed, since it
affects all applications.  Have you reported it to them?  It could be
added to Emacs.app pretty easily I think, though right now priorities
are on bug-fixing and code cleanup.

"New window" isn't something all applications support. For those that do support creating new windows, like Mail, sometimes you have to create specific types of windows (new message, new message viewer). I'm not sure what Apple could do in the generic case, aside from maybe "select application without switching spaces", which would be a different model for how Spaces would work, a significant UI change, and a change in the wrong direction for those apps that support only one window. Creating application-specific entries in the dock menu, on the other hand, is obviously already supported in general, and lets the application do whatever's appropriate for it, even if it's a little more work for the app writer.

5) The close button seems to be disabled when there's only one
window. I'd rather see it quit Emacs like it used to in Carbon Emacs,
or be configurable to allow that

Emacs.app follows emacs interfaces on other platforms here. It is possible that adding a configurable option as you suggest would be acceptable. Do you know if it is the plain Carbon Emacs that has this behavior, or is it only in
the distributions (Carbon Emacs Package, Aquamacs, etc.)?

Actually, in my experience, the close button or equivalent on the last Emacs window causes Emacs to quit, in X, Carbon, and Windows versions; the Cocoa version is behaving differently by ignoring it.

I was using a Carbon Emacs I built from the main CVS repository with the make-package script.

Ken