some missing code? (was: Re: Emacs.app merged)

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: some missing code? (was: Re: Emacs.app merged)
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 13:12:37 -0700

I noticed that this function in frame.el does not have a check for ns,
shouldn't it?

(defun face-set-after-frame-default (frame &optional parameters)
  "Initialize the frame-local faces of FRAME.
Calculate the face definitions using the face specs, custom theme
settings, X resources, and `face-new-frame-defaults'.
Finally, apply any relevant face attributes found amongst the
frame parameters in PARAMETERS and `default-frame-alist'."
  (dolist (face (nreverse (face-list)))
    (condition-case ()
    (progn
      ;; Initialize faces from face spec and custom theme.
        (face-spec-recalc face frame)
          ;; X resouces for the default face are applied during
            ;; x-create-frame.
              (and (not (eq face 'default))
                     (memq (window-system frame) '(x w32))
                                                 ^^^^^^^^^
                            (make-face-x-resource-internal face frame))

"x-create-frame" does not do a copy_alist at the beginning like the
other ports to.  On Windows not having that resulted in some strange
behavior.  It might be a good idea to sync that function with the X
version again.

What is the #ifdef HAVE_NS code in frame.c:x_get_frame used for?

                Lisp_Object lower;
                            lower = Fdowncase (tem);
                                  if (!strcmp (SDATA (lower), "on")
#ifdef HAVE_NS
                    || !strcmp(SDATA(lower), "yes")
#endif
                    || !strcmp (SDATA (lower), "true"))
                         return Qt;
                                else if (!strcmp (SDATA (lower), "off")
#ifdef HAVE_NS
                      || !strcmp(SDATA(lower), "no")
#endif
                      || !strcmp (SDATA (lower), "false"))
                           return Qnil;
                                  else
                            return Fintern (tem, Qnil);

Is "yes" and "no" something that some other program on the system can
write? Or something that the user would write?  If the latter, then
wouldn't it be better to just teach the users to use the values all
other systems uses and avoid complications in code and docs?

Please take a look.

Thanks

        --dan