Re: VMS support

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: VMS support
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 16:44:39 -0400

> That's what I've been saying, its absolutely _not_ minor.

Keeping the ChangeLog on the side, as well as the list of files to `cvs
rm' seems like very minor annoyances.  Compared to the cost of finding
the parts of the code that uses Carbon, then finding the places that
refer to those places, ...  Maybe you don't think so because you'd
already done most of the work of finding the relevant places, but then
you just have a *perception* of a high marginal cost.

> And trading requiring to do work now for _maybe_ avoiding work in the
> future when _maybe_ someone _might_ pick up the code is
> a bad tradeoff.

Could be.  If you've ever been at the other end of the stick, you'll
know that the added work of extracting the relevant patches from a set
of interleaved patches can be excruciating.  Especially with CVS and its
lack of atomic commits.  So yes, the gain is only hypothetical, but is
potentially much higher than the cost.

> So the question is, will you continue this policy?

Yes.  As I said, if you don't want to do this job, then just leave the
old code in its place: we've been living with it for years, so it's
not like it's urgent to remove it.

        Stefan