Re: line-move-visual never set to nil?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: line-move-visual never set to nil?
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 16:59:56 -0400

>> It's true, though, that this behavior could be confusing, especially for
>> longtime users of Emacs.  So maybe we ought to make line-move-visual
>> default to nil, as before, and leave it to advanced users to change it
>> to t for their own usage.

That's not my experience.  line-move has been doing "funny" things for
a while now and nobody really complained about it (all the complaints
I've seen were of the other sort, which were pushing towards what we
now have when we set line-move-visual to t).

> Especially novice users will be confused by this defaulting to nil.

We shouldn't place special emphasis on novices, but I think that it's
generally a better default, indeed.  As a matter of fact, the OP's
reuqest wasn't really complaining about this default, but about the fact
that he expected visual-line-mode to affect it.  Maybe the docstring
should refer to line-move-visual to clear the confusion.

        Stefan