Re: Idea for syntax-ppss. Is it new? Could it be any good?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Idea for syntax-ppss. Is it new? Could it be any good?
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 19:20:45 +0000

Hi, Stefan,

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 11:51:36AM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >> Isn't that what syntax-ppss does?
> > It caches the state for several positions, but I don't think they're at
> > regular positions.

> C-h v syntax-ppss-max-span

> It's not exactly perfectly regular, but I don't think the difference
> matters.

I was looking at my 3Mb buffer, and it seemed they were at wildly
irregular positions.  But I think I was seeing something which wasn't
really there.

> > partial-parse-sexp is blindingly fast.  To scan an entire 3Mb C
> > buffer on my elderly 1.2 GHz Athlon takes 0.27s.  That is why I
> > suspect that the lisping in syntax-ppss might need severe
> > optimisation.  But again, it's only a hunch.

> When I wrote syntax-ppss, my main goal was to never be significantly
> slower than parse-partial-sexp.  Even if it's not as fast as it could
> be if written in C (which is pretty much obviously true), that's not a
> reason to recode it in C.

Surely the goal should be to be significantly faster most of the time.
Presumably it achieves this in practice.  The reason to recode in C
would be to make it fast enough, or to couple it up to things which
couldn't be done in lisp.  But probably neither of these things is
needed.

> > What I think really needs doing is to make this function
> > bulletproof: It should work on narrowed buffers,

> That can be done, tho it needs extra info in order to know how to
> interpret the fact that it's narrowed.

Don't understand.  The function is defined as the equivalent of
(parse-partial-sexp (point-min) pos)?  You've said before that the
function is best not called when a buffer is narrowed.  Couldn't we just
redefine it as (parse-partial-sexp 1 pos)?  Then we could just put
(save-extension (widen ..... )) into syntax-ppss.

[ .... ]

> I think this will result in too many cache flushes and will make the
> code too intrusive or too ad-hoc.  I'd rather have a
> syntax-ppss-syntax-table (and force parse-sexp-lookup-properties to t)
> if you want more reliable results.

Hey, syntax-ppss-syntax-table is a brilliant idea!  In its doc string one
could say "after setting this, clear the cache by calling ...
(syntax-ppss-flush-cache 1)".

> > Also, Lennart is asking for it to work nicely with multiple major modes.
> > Surely this would be a Good Thing.  Files containing several major modes
> > are commonplace (awk or sed embedded within a shell script, html
> > embedded within php, ....).

> Yes, that's a desirable extension.

> > At the moment, CC Mode applies a heuristic maximum size of strings and
> > comments, for performance reasons.  Checking for strings and comments is
> > done so frequently that the mode uses elaborate internal caches.  It
> > would be nice if this cacheing could move to the Emacs core.

> You can do it today.  Have you even tried to use syntax-ppss before
> asking for it to be improved?

No.  I think I've been scared by its vagueness (about narrowed regions)
more than anything.  It's defined in the elisp manual as equivalent to
(pps (point-min) pos) rather than (pps 1 pos).  It also uses
syntax-begin-function, which doesn't seem right, and wouldn't work well
in CC Mode; the only way s-b-f can give a cast-iron result is by calling
parse-partial-sexp, or syntax-ppss.  In fact, if syntax-ppss was
bulletproof, syntax-begin-function would be redundant.  I don't think
syntax-ppss is quite the right function for what I want to do.  I need
something like it, but not identical.

Maybe I should test syntax-ppss by coding up inside a macro which
widens.  And I've been less than convinced it's actually faster.  In
fact, I'll go and do some speed tests and report back.

> > Again, this isn't something which can be implemented in a weekend,
> > but I think it would be worthwhile for Emacs 24.

> Other than the multi-major-mode part, it all sounds like very
> minor changes.

Maybe.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).