Re: slow processing of process output when it's huge

From: Sean O'Rourke
Subject: Re: slow processing of process output when it's huge
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 19:53:38 -0700

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:
> I run by mistake vc-print-log at the top of the tree of a Linux
> git tree.  After 15 minutes of running I gave up and killed it.

How much of that is fontification?  I've had this[1] in my .emacs
since forever for when I make a similar mistake in comint, and
while it's still slow, it's much less so.

Sean

[1]
(defun my-comint-stfu-toss (x) "")
(defun my-comint-stfu ()
  "Start (or stop) tossing comint output."
  (interactive)
  (if (and (boundp 'comint-preoutput-filter-functions)
           (member 'my-comint-stfu-toss comint-preoutput-filter-functions))
      (setq comint-preoutput-filter-functions
            (remove 'my-comint-stfu-toss comint-preoutput-filter-functions))
      (add-hook 'comint-preoutput-filter-functions
                'my-comint-stfu-toss)))