Re: Analysis of redisplay performance on Windows

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Analysis of redisplay performance on Windows
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 01:03:50 -0400

Adrian Robert <address@hidden> writes:

> In the NS font driver (nsfont.m) these two functions cache info for
> each font by block of 256 (stored in nsfont_info -- nsterm.h).  This
> made a significant different in rendering speed when I implemented it,
> and the memory cost is not high unless lots of different char ranges
> are being rendered in lots of different fonts.  Moving this code up to
> font.c would be another option to consider.

If we go this route, it's probably faster to reimplement this cache
separately for w32, using the NS code as a guide and keeping it as close
as possible.  Working with the platform-independent code, you'd have to
worry about screwing things up on other platforms.  We can always
consolidate/refactor the code in the next development cycle.

Handa, do you have any comments about the nsfont_info mechanism that
Adrian pointed to?