Re: inputting characters by hexadigit

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: inputting characters by hexadigit
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 09:00:17 -0500

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 22:37:45 +0200 "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden>
wrote:

LB> Could not this be done by just renaming the C function completing-read
LB> to completing-read-1 and then adding

LB> (defun completing-read (prompt
LB>                         collection
LB>                         &optional predicate require-match
LB>                         initial-input hist def
LB>                         inherit-input-method)
LB>   ... documentation ...
LB>   (if completing-read-function
LB>       (funcall completing-read-function ...)
LB>     (completing-read-1 ...)))

LB> to minibuffer.el?

I've seen a lot of this monkey-patching in Gnus and I can't say I like
it much.  I forget who said that "if a function has more than 7
arguments you forgot some" but it's especially true with complicated
functions like this.  So rather than renaming the function to get more
functionality, we should rethink the API and find ways to simplify it.

Are you going to try to implement this?  It seems like you're
interested; my time is very limited currently so I won't be able to do
it soon but I can help with testing and some code.

Ted