Re: Emacs/Web-Browser Integration was :gnome/emacs integration

From: David Hansen
Subject: Re: Emacs/Web-Browser Integration was :gnome/emacs integration
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 16:28:53 +0200

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 06:27:13 -0700 T. V. Raman wrote:

> It would definitely be nice to talk to GTK through an elisp/guile
> layer. But even more importantly, one aspect of Emacs that has
> sadly fallen behind significantly is emacs' ability to
> communicate with the Web. Ideally, we would have some kind of
> Emacs binding to Webkit as a rendering engine that was completely
> controllable from Elisp --- any takers?

The GTK port doesn't offer much control over the webkit widget.  If you
want to do really cool stuff you would need to have some DOM bindings in
Elisp.

AFAIK the GTK folks are working on bindings for GObject.  One could try
to use this as a base for elisp bindings.  But I would think it's far
more efficient (runtime and devel time) and more fun to just stick with
JS.  But if you do that you can just write a stand alone app in the
first place...  Just my 2 ยข.

David