Re: line-move-visual never set to nil?

From: Andrew W. Nosenko
Subject: Re: line-move-visual never set to nil?
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 10:43:14 +0300

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 11:59 PM, Stefan Monnier
<address@hidden> wrote:
>>> It's true, though, that this behavior could be confusing, especially for
>>> longtime users of Emacs.  So maybe we ought to make line-move-visual
>>> default to nil, as before, and leave it to advanced users to change it
>>> to t for their own usage.
>
> That's not my experience.  line-move has been doing "funny" things for
> a while now and nobody really complained about it (all the complaints
> I've seen were of the other sort, which were pushing towards what we
> now have when we set line-move-visual to t).

Just because either too lazy (like me) and hope that usual behavior
will be restored after trying and playing fith this feature, or just
don't know (because not so many people use CVS emacs), or in hope that
some convenient workaround will be made for achieve the best of two
sides.

The biggest problem with "visual" line motion as it is currently is
even not in the need of re-learning.  The biggest is that current
defaults are beaks keybord macro.  Just try to record some macro that
uses up/down key having wrapped lines, change width of the
window/frame and enjoy. :-(

Introducing of the commands for movement over phisical lines (as
proposed for M-[ and M-], or where they will be bound finally) could
help, but...  But they are available only for word-wrapping mode,
while up/down keys behavior "screwed" in all modes :-(

Sorry, may be indeed wes too lazy and this message should be written
early, but better do it latter than never...

--
Andrew W. Nosenko <address@hidden>