Re: [Emacs-diffs] Changes to emacs/src/emacs.c,v

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] Changes to emacs/src/emacs.c,v
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 07:00:01 -0700

Emanuele Giaquinta <address@hidden> writes:

  > On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 06:13:30AM -0700, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
  >
  > > Emanuele Giaquinta <address@hidden> writes:
  > >
  > >   > On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 04:28:38PM -0700, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
  > >   >
  > >   > > Emanuele Giaquinta <address@hidden> writes:
  > >   > >
  > >   > >   > On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 03:59:21PM -0700, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
  > >   > >   >
  > >   > >   > > Unfortunately that is not what the code in configure.in said:
  > >   > >   > >
  > >   > >   > > /* TODO: These are used for the Carbon port only. */
  > >   > >   > > #undef MAC_OS
  > >   > >   > > #undef MAC_OSX
  > >   > >   > >
  > >   > >   > > What is the right conditional there?
  > >   > >   >
  > >   > >   > I think the right conditional is to check only MAC_OSX (defined
in
  > >   > >   > s/darwin.h), that code is required by unexmacosx.c.
  > >   > >
  > >   > > MAC_OSX is only define if !HAVE_NS, so that wouldn't be quite right
  > >   > > either.
  > >   >
  > >   > Ah, I see. The previous conditional was correct then.
  > >
  > > It would make this particular code work, but it might not be enough.
  > > src/s/darwin.h should not be using -DMAC_OSX, it should put that in a
  > > #define, that is the point of darwin.h, to contain #defines.  The macro
  > > should be documented properly in admin/CPP-DEFINES.  Hopefully a mac
  > > person can take care of this.
  >
  > While I agree that using a #define rather than -D would be nicer, I do
  > not see what it would change wrt this issue.
  > MAC_OSX was documented in CPP-DEFINES, maybe the description could have
  > been better but I do not see what is wrong in reverting that hunk
  > that is not related to the carbon gui removal and breaks non toolkit
  > builds, the whole thing can be improved later if needed.

We are going in circles here.  MAC_OSX was documented in CPP-DEFINES in
one way, the latest code added with the NextStep check in documented it
with a completely different meaning: that is only used in Carbon.  That
is why references to MAC_OSX were completely removed when removing
support for Carbon, with the exception of the code in src/s/darwin.h,
which got a FIXME tag asking if it still needed.

So yes, this needs fixing, but the mac people need to figure out what is
the right way to do it, and add proper documentation to CPP-DEFINES.

Meanwhile you can undo the change in your local tree.