Re: word search (Re: isearch in Dired)

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: word search (Re: isearch in Dired)
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 13:22:47 -0400

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> When you want to switch to the regexp search then the most natural key
> is "r".  When you want to switch to the word search then the most natural
> key is "w".  Currently I see no alternative common key whose mnemonics
> would be obvious.  So to toggle to the regexp or word search and back
> to the non-regexp non-word search could be done using either of two keys
> `M-s r' or `M-s w'.  It seems there is no problem with this.  In this
> case, the following patch looks like a satisfactory solution.  It also
> binds `M-s w' globally to start word isearch.

Looks OK to me.  Please check it in ASAP, and don't forget to write a
NEWS entry, and to document the keybinding in the docstring of
`isearch'.

Something that might be good to work on, after the release, is a better
help facility for C-s, to allow the user to remind himself what the
isearch key bindings are.  The current `C-s C-h ? [bmk]' menus aren't
very easy to read.