RE: mouse wheel scrolling in gtk

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: mouse wheel scrolling in gtk
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 17:57:56 -0700

> > This is a bit counter intuitive since other Gtk/Gnome
> > applications honor this.  I.e. you can mouse-wheel-scroll any of
> > an applications parts without having to first click/focus that
> > part of the application.
> >
> > Can this be fixed, or is there perhaps some configuration
> > setting that I have missed?
>
> C-h v mouse-wheel-follow-mouse RET
>
>    `mouse-wheel-follow-mouse' is a variable defined in `mwheel.el'.
>
>    Whether the mouse wheel should scroll the window that the
>    mouse is over. This can be slightly disconcerting, but some
>    people prefer it.
>
> [I set this to t myself, and I think the default value is
> kind of silly personally...]

I don't use Gtk/Gnome much, so I don't really care about this for my own use,
but I agree with Miles (and, I suspect, Joachim).

It seems silly that the default behavior of a mouse wheel wouldn't be to scroll
what the mouse points to. Talk about counter-intuitive...

And I (obviously) think the last part of the doc string is inappropriate and
should be removed. On the contrary, it's disconcerting to have a pointing device
*not* act on what it points to but on something somewhere else. The mouse should
identify by its location what it acts on. Sheesh...

[Also, "this" is ambiguous in the last doc-string sentence. The sentence really
says that "whether..." can be disconcerting. I suspect it is trying to say
instead that scroll focus following the mouse (that is, a value of t) can be
disconcerting (which is wrong, IMO).]