Re: line-move-visual never set to nil?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: line-move-visual never set to nil?
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 13:56:37 +0900

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:
>> Why doesn't it work right in a keyboard macro?
>
> No, it's because keyboard macros recorded using one window width may not
> work properly when you change the window width, if the line wrapping has
> changed.
>
> After thinking about this more, I think we might leave this alone.  It's
> not difficult to do M-x toggle-truncate-lines if you need to avoid this
> problem, if it ever crops up.

I agree.

The fundamental problem is one that has always been present when
entering keyboard macros:  You need to be slightly careful and consider
possible ways that your commands might work differently in a different
context.  Often this means using different, more robust or more
primitive commands than you might use interactively.

I don't think line-move-visual changes much.

-Miles

--
Electricity, n. The cause of all natural phenomena not known to be caused by
something else.