Feature freeze

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Feature freeze
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 00:55:51 -0400

Hi people,

It's time to begin the feature freeze.

A couple of people still have small non-bugfix patches scheduled to go
into CVS; please check these in over the 24 hours, or email me if you
have problems.  Otherwise, don't commit any more new features.  If in
doubt, email emacs-devel for discussion.

Two exceptions: we'll allow the proced.el and rmail-mbox changes.

There currently isn't any detailed schedule for the release.  My hope
(and I think Stefan concurs) is to have 23.1 out in about six months
from now.  Maybe this is optimistic; we'll see.

My rough plan is to go through the bug list and finish those pertinent
to both Emacs 22 and Emacs 23 first.  About 2 weeks from now, I'll start
the Emacs 22.3 pretest, which hopefully won't take much effort and can
be completed in a month or two.  Once 22.3 is released, we'll take
another look at the bug count and see how soon afterwards we can start
the 23.1 pretest.

There are 180+ outstanding bugs, which can be browsed at the bugtracker
here:

http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?which=pkg&data=emacs&archive=no&version=&dist=unstable

Let's get to work on these.  If you need help using the bug tracker,
please email me.

Thanks!