Re: line-move-visual never set to nil?

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: line-move-visual never set to nil?
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 02:29:12 +0200

David De La Harpe Golden wrote:
Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote
Macros do not -- and cannot -- make any guarantees about what happens if
you execute them in a different environment, or on different text, than
where they were recorded.

Do you mean that there is something that prevents us from temporary
turning things off during keyboard macro recording and execution? In
that case: what?

It'd be annoying?

It would break similarity between keyboard macros and normal editing.
What if I _expected_ it to do things visually?

Yes, line-move-visual is kind of sucky for keyboard macros (as I've
already said, I'd rather have visual line movement on separate bindings
to normal/logical line movement). However, it turning off inside
keyboard macro definition when it's otherwise on would IMO be pretty
infuriatingly surprising.

Slightly contrived example - you're editing a wide table say,
line-move-visual is on and you have set your window size to wrap at
a table border, and then you notice a regular edit you're doing
to the 4th (on the 1st visual line) and 17th columns (on the
second visual line of the same logical line) could be repeated
all the way down with a macro.  You try to use next-line, just as you
would outside keyboard macro definition and have been using for
the past 4 rows before the ol' brain kicked in and told you to
press F3...

And if some lines wrap and others do not?

In short, leave it on or leave it off, don't magically muck with it.

Maybe an option would be best IMO.