Re: Feature freeze

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Feature freeze
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 10:42:49 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi people,
> It's time to begin the feature freeze.

> A couple of people still have small non-bugfix patches scheduled to go
> into CVS; please check these in over the 24 hours, or email me if you
> have problems.  Otherwise, don't commit any more new features.  If in
> doubt, email emacs-devel for discussion.

> Two exceptions: we'll allow the proced.el and rmail-mbox changes.

> There currently isn't any detailed schedule for the release.  My hope
> (and I think Stefan concurs) is to have 23.1 out in about six months
> from now.  Maybe this is optimistic; we'll see.

> My rough plan is to go through the bug list and finish those pertinent
> to both Emacs 22 and Emacs 23 first.  About 2 weeks from now, I'll start
> the Emacs 22.3 pretest, which hopefully won't take much effort and can
> be completed in a month or two.  Once 22.3 is released, we'll take
> another look at the bug count and see how soon afterwards we can start
> the 23.1 pretest.

As I wrote before, I'm now working on the new implementation
of automatic-character-composition that doesn't use text
property.  The work is not for a new feature, but I realized
that an element in composition-function-table must be
changed slightly, and a few new Lisp functions must be
added (in a broad sense, it's a new feature).  Please let me
check-in the necessary changes for that work even after the
feature freeze.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden