Re: a review of the merge (Re: Emacs.app merged)

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: a review of the merge (Re: Emacs.app merged)
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 08:07:18 -0700

Adrian Robert <address@hidden> writes:

  > On Aug 1, 2008, at 10:23 AM, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
  >
  > > Now IMHO: I'd say that the w32 function can be removed because it is
  > > not
  > > very useful, and the data in etc/rgb.txt be put in a static struct
  > > in a
  > > C file and use it from there.
  >
  > Having it in rgb.txt makes it easy to upgrade when X changes this file
  > (which it does from time to time).

It does?  Is it often enough to worry about it?

  > What about best of both worlds, some sort of compile-time awk
  > operation that generates a C file from etc/rgb.txt?

It would be better if the C file was checked in the repository (like we
do for example with the "configure" script).
And it would be even better if we didn't have the etc/rgb.txt file at
all, (it get needlessly installed on GNU/Linux for example), just the
script that processes the standard X11 rgb.txt and produces the C file.