Re: Release plans

From: Jay Belanger
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 11:12:36 -0500

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:
>> A while back, I came across a note saying that any package that is
>> developed within Emacs shouldn't have it's own version numbering.  I've
>> looked in vain for that note, but have been unable to find it.  However,
>> Calc is now a fully owned subsidiary of Emacs, Inc., so is there any
>> reason why Calc should have its own version number?
>
> Quite a few packages use their own version numbers.  I think some
> maintainers find these helpful for, e.g., distinguishing between the
> versions in the Emacs tree and those distributed seperately.

But in this case, Emacs Calc is developed within Emacs.
Referring to Calc 2.2, for example, gives no indication of where to get
it, referring to Calc in Emacs 23.1 does.  (As does referring to Calc
2.2 in Emacs 23.1, but I don't see the point of the 2.2 here.)
As it is, since Emacs Calc is continually being modified but only
released when Emacs is released, the Emacs Calc version will simply be
bumped up for every Emacs release; that's not that big of a deal, but I
don't really see the point.

> XEmacs packages it separately, and will continue to do so for the
> foreseeable future.  Until y'all move to a tree-oriented VCS version
> numbers (and tags in the Calc portion of the tree) would be helpful in
> comparing what we got to upstream.

XEmacs Calc is a separate branch, and not even the version numbering is
kept in sync.  I don't see how the Emacs Calc version number is more
helpful than the Emacs version number when referring to Emacs Calc.
(I could be missing something, of course.)

Jay