Re: Release plans

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 20:34:40 +0300

> Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 10:39:08 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Cc: Roland Winkler <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> I've been working off-list with Roland Winkler on adding two
> primitives to Emacs that would allow proced.el to avoid using external
> programs such as `ps' to implement Process Editor mode.  The GNU/Linux
> part of the primitives is almost done; I need maybe one more weekend
> to finish it and install the changes.  The MS-Windows implementation
> will follow.

The GNU/Linux implementation is now done and installed.  I didn't yet
write the documentation for the ELisp manual, but I assume this is not
urgent, since the code freeze does not affect the docs.

P.S. The GNU/Linux implementation uses /proc filesystem to get at the
list of processes and the attributes of a process.  While I know that
other Unix systems support /proc, I don't have access to them, and
thus cannot verify that the code works on them, especially since I'm
quite sure the details vary.  So for now the /proc method is only
enabled for GNU/Linux; users of other Unices will have to extend the
code for their systems.