Re: Cygwin emacs - does it work?

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Cygwin emacs - does it work?
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 17:04:08 +0200

David De La Harpe Golden wrote:
Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:

I just installed the cygwin Emacs for X. I have never used X. When I try
to start Emacs now I get the rather incomprehensible:

  $ emacs
  emacs: Cannot connect to X server localhost:0.0.
  Check the DISPLAY environment variable or use `-d'.
  Also use the `xhost' program to verify that it is set to permit
  connections from your machine.

What?

Did you start the X server first?  It probably isn't set up to
autostart.   (Also, you may have to install the X server via
cygwin setup.exe if you haven't already)

IIRC (okay, I googled) recent cygwin provides a batch file to start it
for you. It may still be
in c:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\startxwin.bat

Run it if it's there.

Thanks David, that worked. And the (old) Emacs for X could be started. However it is version 21.