Re: Release plans

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 17:48:28 -0400

    Please, could you confirm such 'computer' does not include network routers
and
    bridges?

Whether a router counts as a computer (a programmable device) for the user
depends on certain facts (as I've already explained).
These may vary from one router to another, and may change in time
as the practices change.  If the router does functions as a computer
for the user, I will say that proprietary software inside it is unethical.
If it does not function as a computer for the user, then I will not
criticize proprietary software in it.  However, it is still
a good thing if the software is free.

What the GNU GPL requires is a different question.
The GNU GPL requirements apply to all distribution of copies.
There is no exception for copies included in devices that
don't function as computers for the user.