Re: How to reply to bug reports

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: How to reply to bug reports
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 22:50:46 +0200

>> AFAIK, the only place you should need reply is to
>> address@hidden and that should go to all the right
>> places (i.e. to bug-gnu-emacs, to the OP, and hopefully to most other
>> people who participated in this bug report).
>
> It doesn't currently go to the submitter; the logic behind this is
> that the submitter doesn't always care about the machinations going
> about to fix the bug.
>
> However, the ability for a submitter to easily decide that they want
> to get information about a bug is something that I'm going to add;
> it's pretty high on my todo list. [It's part of the per-bug
> subscription setup that Debian already has, but hasn't been deployed
> for emacs bugs.]

I've been confused by a couple of things, especially by the fact that I
received a confirmation from the bug tracker almost _instantaneously_
but for at least two reports never received a copy via bug-gnu-emacs.
Either my mail provider (gmx) rejected them or the relay via
bug-gnu-emacs didn't work out.  Only after Sven's explanation, and after
checking the archives, I found that my replies were indeed sent to
bug-gnu-emacs.

It would be probably more foolproof if the bug-tracker did explain in a
two or three lines how to reply correctly and where replies are sent to
(the original submitter, which list, any subscribers).  Well, maybe this
is self-evident to everyone but me ...

Apart from that I do like the bug-tracker a lot.  Sorry for the mess
I've been causing - someone will have to merge #671-#674 into #587 as
well as #657 into #466.

martin