Re: Release plans

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 08:38:17 +0000

Hi, Richard!

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 01:19:22AM -0400, Richard M. Stallman wrote:
>     Switching to GNU is possible in principle, but it's difficult,
>     time-consuming and expensive.

> Doing things that are difficult and/or time-consuming and/or expensive
> in order to escape from proprietary software is precisely the way to
> show people that freedom matters.  That is how you lead.  Developing
> GNU was also difficult and time-consuming, and some aspects have been
> expensive.

Hey, you snipped too much of the context, you rascal!  The effort I was
talking about was that of a large company, with all the bureaucracy and
inertia that goes with it.  These large companies aren't much concerned
about freedom, unless it is their own.  They might not even be legally
permitted in some jurisdictions to bother much about freedom.

Other people and groups are advancing free software by emphasising free
software's high quality.  Yet you don't recognise their efforts as
legitimate, even though they increase the use of free software, and hence
freedom itself.  I find this puzzling, and I know I'm not alone.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).