Re: Release plans

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:02:59 -0400

   >    Some people are annoyed by the transient mark, some are not.
   >    Even if all maintainers would find that feature annoying, it
   >    would be a good thing to have it anyway for some people might
   >    find it useful.
   >
   > TTM doesn't have the side effect of alllowing someone to
   > subjugate the rights of a user, loadable modules do.

   Again, the user has the right to choose.  As I said, you might
   forbid cars with the same argument, i.e. it could be harmful to the
   user.

Nobody has forbidden anything.  The Emacs maintainers have simply
decided that the specific feature you want won't be included in Emacs,
nothing more.

   Your basic assumption is that if someone writes non-free software,
   the user would be totally helpless and enslaved by the author.
   This is not true!  The person would be in a position she chose to
   be in BY FREE WILL.

Non-free software users are indeed under the exclusive control of the
author, the author decides what they can do with the program.  The
only right thing from the user is to refuse to use the non-free
program.