Re: Release plans

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 02:08:38 +0900

Johannes Weiner writes:

 > I.e. make the module register itself and by using the registration
 > mechanism which is GPL software, the module becomes derivative
 > work.

According to the prevailing definition of "work", anything loaded into
the same process becomes part of a derivative work.  The FSF's legal
staff says that if a module cannot be used without the rest of the
program, the source as well is part of the same work.  So what you
want is already true.

The difference with the kernel is that (a) the kernel is not a
process, and (b) Linus has made the exception explicit.

What the kernel does is to require the module to call an API to assert
that it is GPLv2.  What that means is that it's an *intentional*
copyright violation if that is a lie.  Statutory damages on a
per-copy-distributed basis, possibly a criminal violation.  "I see
your 0.02 Euro, and raise one CAP budget." ;-)