Re: [OT] Release plans

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: [OT] Release plans
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 18:10:52 +0300

Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> I couldn't put GNU onto my desktop PC in the office, at least not
> without being instantly dismissed.

This is the price everyone should be prepared to pay, yes.  More than
5 years ago, I told my boss that I refuse to use non-free software at
work, and I was prepared to get fired.  But it didn't happen.
Instead, we migrated to GNU/Linux.

That was a small company (about 10 computers at that time).  I was
doing most of the work, so he faced the dilemma of finding a
replacement (which is pretty hard in our area of business) or honoring
my request.  So we made a deal -- we'll migrate if I guarantee to
support the systems free of charge.  I'm pretty happy with that.
There were many problems (and still are!) with GNU/Linux, but all the
colleagues got accustomed to it, more or less.  A crucial point is
that all of them still don't care for their freedom, so that's not a
success story.

It is a success story for me personally, because I enjoy full software
freedom since then (i.e. not only at home until then).

Of course, if you work in a larger company, or you're not enough
valuable employee, that fortunate scenario is unlikely to happen.  But
if enough people stand up and refuse to use non-free software, there's
a chance.  That is how strikes worked for centuries, basically.