Re: Release plans

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 06:40:27 -0400

    Your word "endorsing" is one of those flexible, vague, open-ended words
    that could mean almost anything.  Do these other people actually
    campaign against software freedom?  Do they actually say "freedom is
    unimportant", rather than just not mentioning it much?

Many of them do.  Occasionally they directly oppose the ideals of
software freedom; Torvalds has done so.  More often, they do not
explicitly address the issue, but they say things which implicitly
assert that the most important values are powerful, reliable,
convenient software and that non-free software is acceptable.

    I think it's more important for people actually to be free than to be
    aware of it.

What I've learned is that people tend not remain free for long
unless they appreciate freedom and defend it.