Re: Release plans

From: Gilaras Drakeson
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 10:20:38 -0400

        The Linux kernel doesn't refuse to boot when it recognizes a non
        GPL module being loaded. It justs informs you its "tainted".

        Emacs should of course just refuse to use functions in modules
        that are not GPL compliant, not just inform the user that the
        moral integrity of Emacs has been corrupted.

    I don't think this is a solution, because it would be easy to patch
    out the code that enforces that restriction.

True, but we are not in a *much* better situation now, because if
releasing a patched Emacs is acceptable in the game, a large software
corporation can easily release a patch that enables loading of external
modules for Emacs.

I don't think this restriction could be enforced just by software.  Some
addendum to the license (maybe only specific to Emacs, GCC, and other
meta-applications if adding that to GPLv3+ is not easy) might prevent
count as a long term solution.

Gilaras