Re: Release plans

From: Paul R
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 15:04:44 +0200

Hello Richard,

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 08:21:43 -0400, "Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> said:
RMS> Not everyone will make the decision not to use it. Depending on
RMS> how convenient it is, lots of people might use it. That would be
RMS> a big change for the worse.

And depending on how inconvenient emacs is, lots of people might just
avoid it in favor of a fully-proprietary system.

OTOH, depending on how convenient the solution libre is, lots of
people might start using it.

You can read every figures concerning the recent rise of popularity
and usage of free software to the mass. The fact is that more and more
people are now liberated from the proprietary world by using free
software. Do you think it is because they suddently realized that
proprietary software was unethical ? I don't think so. They just
realized how much more convenient it was for them to use free
software.

I totally agree with you how sad it is, but Firefox, OpenOffice and
Ubuntu bring free software to many people, while GNUEmacs or gNewSense
can't really help to spread the word.

Ultimatly, you can't prevent other vendors to provide proprietary
solutions, so I think such a technical retriction to emacs will
only penalize emacs users (and more generaly free software users).

--
  Paul