Re: Release plans

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:01:18 +0900

Richard M. Stallman writes:
 >     I will remind you that that was good enough for XEmacs and Qt in your
 >     opinion.
 >
 > What opinion are you talking about?

About 4 years ago I asked you about whether it was compatible with the
GPL to distribute an XEmacs with a Qt interface, given that (a) the
X11 version of Qt had been relicensed to GPL, but (b) the Windows
version was still under a non-free license.

You replied that it was compatible if the build system provided no
support for linking Qt on the Windows system, and configure (for
Cygwin) warned that Qt is a nonfree library and therefore not
supported on Windows.

 > I do not in general approve of the decisions of the XEmacs
 > developers, and they don't wait on my approval any more than I wait
 > on yours.

We are unwilling to be dominated by your authority.  We do consider
your opinions and expertise, however, and of course the FSF is the
largest rightsholder in XEmacs (my estimate, by lines of code).