Re: Release plans

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 23:48:21 -0400

    And depending on how inconvenient emacs is, lots of people might just
    avoid it in favor of a fully-proprietary system.

I think you are exaggerating, but it might happen sometimes.
But that would not alter the issue, unless it happens a lot.
We will not extend toleration to proprietary software
just to gain a little popularity.

     Do you think it is because they suddently realized that
    proprietary software was unethical ? I don't think so. They just
    realized how much more convenient it was for them to use free
    software.

Yes -- and unless we teach them to care about their freedom,
it won't be secure.  That is why we don't just compete with
proprietary software.  We fight against it.  We tell  the
public that proprietary software is evil, and our actions reflect
our principles.

Many users of free software do not share these basic ideas,
and want us to change the policies which follow from these ideas.
We never listen to them.