Re: Proposal for a new API to fullscreen

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Proposal for a new API to fullscreen
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 15:06:01 +0200

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Jason,

> Actually I was suggesting that you change just one symbol name in your
> proposal:
>
> (set-frame-parameter nil 'fullscreen 'maximize) means maximize
> (set-frame-parameter nil 'fullscreen 'fullscreen) means fullscreen
>
> but since we already have fullboth, the latter could be 'fullboth
> rather than 'fullscreen. That would be consistent with how it
> currently works on X if I understand this discussion correctly.

Hm, it's not a good idea to use one and the same parameter for two
different concepts.  But if I think about it, two parameters which
exclude each other (there's no such thing as a vertically maximized
fullscreen window) are even worse.

So now I agree with Jason! ;-)

If someone would ask me which parameter and values I'd choose, here
they're:

        - Parameter: maximize

          I think that's better than fullscreen, cause fullscreen can be
          seen as special maximization, whereas something like
          vertically maximized is surely no special version of
          fullscreen.

        - Values:

          vertical: maximized vertically, e.g. window fits from top of
                    the usable screen (usable = screen, where no taskbar
                    is) till the bottom

          horizontal: Same as vertical, but from left to right

          both or t: vertical + horizontal

          fullscreen: What do you guess?!

Bye,
Tassilo
--
A child of five could understand this! Fetch me a child of five!